Study Guide for Exam 1
1. Know the definition of chemistry.
2. Know how to define and apply the following terms: matter, solid, liquid, gas, homogenous mixture, heterogeneous mixture, physical change, chemical change, physical property, chemical property, potential energy, kinetic energy.
3. Know the difference between mass and weight.
1. Know how the nature of the concept of matter changed from the Greeks to modern times.
2. Know the law of conservation of mass, law of definite proportions, law of multiple proportions.
3. Know the contributions of the following people: Democritus, Lavoisier, Dalton, Proust
4. Know the four postulates of Dalton’s atomic theory.
1. Know the contributions of Volta, Faraday, Crookes, Goldstein, Thomson, Roetgen, Rutherford, Millikan, Bohr, Schrödinger, Mendeleev.
2. Know the mass and charge of the proton, neutron and electron.
3. Be able to construct a Bohr diagram for an atom.
4. Be able to identify a: metal, nonmetal, alkali metal, alkaline earth metal, halogen, noble gas and transition metal.
1. Know the following terms: alpha particle, beta particle, gamma particle, transmutation, alpha decay, beta decay.
2. Be able to balance a nuclear reaction.
3. Be able to give applications of radioactivity.
4. Know the difference between fission and fusion.
EXAM 1 WILL BE GIVEN ON WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 22nd.